First, let us understand what Hair transplant (HT) is. In HT, a healthy hair graft is transferred to the bald scalp area. FUE and FUT are the two main methods of hair transplant – HT that are widely performed to resolve baldness and hair loss issues.
Due to advancements in the HT procedure, the grafted hair takes the direction of the patient’s natural growth pattern making it look almost natural.
In FUE HT, harvesting of healthy hair follicles using punch tool and transferring them directly to the bald area takes place. When compared to FUT, in FUE there is no visible scarring even with short hair and helps achieve a more natural look.
Let us breakdown what you will experience in FUE procedure step by step:
The hair transplant surgeon will explain to you all the details of FUE procedure. You can clarify your doubts and queries by discussing them in detail with your cosmetic surgeon.
The cosmetic surgeon will examine your scalp and explain the number of grafts required and how the procedure will be done. The surgeon will show you the exact area of the scalp where the transplantation will take place.
If you agree to go ahead with the procedure, then preparations for the same are initiated.
During the preparation, the area on the head where the hair follicles are going to be harvested from is washed and shaved. This area is known as the dubbed the donor area.
Step 1 – Local Anesthetic: Lidocaine is used as a local anesthetic and applied to the back of the neck and the roots of your hair to numb the area and minimize the pain. You will feel almost nothing when the grafts are being removed from the donor area during the procedure.
Step 2 – Harvesting: With the use of a micropunch tool, the surgeon will remove healthy follicles from your skin. Then, he will make a series of tiny incisions with a needle/small, sharp tool where the extracted follicles will be inserted. The healthy follicles will be collected and kept in the Hypothermosol FRS storage solution. This step takes around 2 to 4 hours to be completed.
Step 3 – Counting: These hair follicles will be counted.
Step 4 – Actual Transplant: The surgeon will open a number of channels that match the number of hair follicles collected and grafted. In this step, the natural look of your hair will be obtained. It takes around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours for this step to be completed.
Step 5: A custom-made channel needles will be used. The hair follicles are planted into the opened channels. And this step takes around 2 or 3 hours.
How many sessions are required for a hair transplant procedure?
FUE is a time-consuming procedure as it had to be done perfectly and accurately especially the placement of the grafts. There is a limit to how many grafts are transplanted in a session as anesthesia is administered to the patient
In the 1st sitting, maximum 2500 – 3000, hair grafts which takes around 7 to 8 hours to complete. If you require more than 3000 grafts the surgeon might take up to 2 to 3 sessions.
Precautions to follow after the FUE procedure:
- Cover your head with a headcover provided by the surgeon.
- Also wear a loose hat during the recovery period.
- Follow the doctor’s prescription strictly
- Abstain from heavy lifting work, contact sports, and sexual intercourse.
- Avoid direct sunlight for the first month following your operation.
How long does the hair take to grow after the FUE transplant?
Within the first three weeks of the transplant, the transplanted hair will shed. The transplanted follicle will go into a so-called “sleep mode” so it does not produce hair for a while.
10 to 20% of hair growth is seen within the 3 to 4 months after the hair transplant. In the following 6 months, about 50% of hair growth is visible. 80% result can be seen in 8 to 9 months. The complete 100% results can be seen in 9 to 12 months after the hair transplant procedure.
What is the cost of an FUE hair transplant procedure at La Denistae?
The starting cost for 1500 grafts for FUE is ₹ 45,000. The cost per graft for hair transplant is ₹20/per graft at La Denistae.
The Advantages of the FUE Technique:
- No visible scarring
- A short period of recovery
- Get a natural look even with short hair
- Minimal pain so you can function normally
- Takes 4 to 5 days only for initial healing to happen
Patient before & after results
Hair Transplantation Procedure
- Preview & Analysis for patient requires prior to consultation & analysis of scalp to know hair density which are available to fulfill the bald areas.
- Transplantation followed by Pathological investigation & Physical fitness.
- Hairline design after sporting short hair & head wash.
- We revise hair line designs depending upon the age & head.
- Graft extraction after local anesthesia.
- Graft extraction is done by punches of import quality & fit to the international standards.
- Implantation by various methods depending upon requirements of density and area of baldness with no touch technique.