First, let us understand what Hair transplant (HT) is. In HT, a healthy hair graft is transferred to the bald scalp area. FUE and FUT are the two main methods of hair transplant – HT that are widely performed to resolve baldness and hair loss issues.
Due to advancements in the HT procedure, the grafted hair takes the direction of the patient’s natural growth pattern making it look almost natural.
In FUE HT, harvesting of healthy hair follicles using punch tool and transferring them directly to the bald area takes place. When compared to FUT, in FUE there is no visible scarring even with short hair and helps achieve a more natural look.
FUE Hair Transplant Procedure
The hair transplant surgeon will explain you all the details of operation. You we start with the operarion you can clear all the doubts and hesitation by talking it over and questioning the surgeon.
After examining your head our surgeon will do the necessary preparation before the procedure. They will show you the area where the transplantation will take place.
During the preparation, the area on the head where the hair follicles are going to be harvested from is washed and shaved. This area id dubbed as donor area.
- Step 1 Local Anesthetic: Licodaine and anesthetic is applied to the back of the neck and the roots of your hair will be numbed and minimise the pain. You will fell almost nothing during the operation during the harvesting step.
- Step 2 Havesting: With the use of micropunch tool, the surgeon will remove healthy follicles from your skin. They will then make a series of tiny incisions with a needl/small, sharp tool where the extracted follicles will be inserted. The healthy follicles will be collected and kept in the Hypothermosol FRS storage solution. This steps takes around 2 to 4 hours.
- Step 3 Counting: These hair follicles will be counted.
- Step 4: The surgeon solely will open a number of channels, with the use of number of hair follicles collected. In this step, the natural look of your hair will be obtained. It takes around 45 minutes to 1.5 hours for this step.
- Step 5: A custom-made channel needles will be used. The hair follicles will be planted into the opened channels. And this step takes around 2 or 3 hours.
How many sessions are required for a hair transplant procedure?
FUE is a time-consuming procedure as it had to be done perfectly and accurately especially the placement of the grafts. There is a limit to how many grafts are transplanted in a session as anesthesia is administered to the patient
In the 1st sitting, maximum 2500 – 3000, hair grafts which takes around 7 to 8 hours to complete. If you require more than 3000 grafts the surgeon might take up to 2 to 3 sessions.
Precautions to follow after the FUE procedure:
- Cover your head with a headcover provided by the surgeon.
- Also wear a loose hat during the recovery period.
- Follow the doctor’s prescription strictly
- Abstain from heavy lifting work, contact sports, and sexual intercourse.
- Avoid direct sunlight for the first month following your operation.
How long does the hair take to grow after the FUE transplant?
Within the first three weeks of the transplant, the transplanted hair will shed. The transplanted follicle will go into a so-called “sleep mode” so it does not produce hair for a while.
10 to 20% of hair growth is seen within the 3 to 4 months after the hair transplant. In the following 6 months, about 50% of hair growth is visible. 80% result can be seen in 8 to 9 months. The complete 100% results can be seen in 9 to 12 months after the hair transplant procedure.
What is the cost of an FUE hair transplant procedure at La Denistae?
The starting cost for 1500 grafts for FUE is ₹ 45,000. The cost per graft for hair transplant is ₹20/per graft at La Denistae.
Factors that affect the cost of FUE hair transplant:
- Number of grafts required: The cost will vary according to the number of grafts required i.e it would cost more to cover the whole scalp than just some area on the scalp.
- Grade of baldness: Grade of baldness means how hair loss is progressing. For example, in the 1st grade of baldness hair transplant is not recommended but after the 2nd grade of baldness, hair transplant is recommended.
- Hair transplant technique used: The technique used will determine the cost. If the latest technology used the cost will also increase.
To compare costs with other procedures like FUT, DHI, or PRP click here
Advantages of the FUE Technique:
- No visible scarring
- A short period of recovery
- Get a natural look even with short hair
- Minimal pain so you can function normally
- Takes 4 to 5 days only for initial healing to happen
Before & After
- Puss filled boils
Before the procedure, local Anastacia will be injected into the scalp. During the procedure, there will be mild discomfort. After surgery, for 2-3 days you might feel pain but the pain is bearable.
FUE leaves dot like scars. These scars are not visible even if the hair is cut close to the scalp.
Yes, the hair transplanted with FUE lasts forever.
After the age of 25 years when a person starts to experience hair loss, that’s the time they should go for an FUE hair transplant.